Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Appointment Made


Earlier this year I decided that I was going to have to make some major lifestyle changes if I wanted to be able to stop taking diabetes medication. I spoke with my doctor to see if this was actually doable at this stage of the game. She was confidant that it was a goal I could achieve. Well things have not gone as planned. My stress level the pass 6 months has been off the scale. My mom’s death and major changes in my work life have put me in a tailspin as far as my lifestyle plans. I have started putting things in perspective and have made an appointment for my physical. Realistically the past few weeks I have put myself back on a schedule for my meals. The less (and more balanced) that I eat, and keeping on a 4/5 hour time schedule really makes a difference in the way I feel and my morning blood sugar readings. I have also gone back to testing in the morning – trying to keep my levels under 120. I know this is not good enough. Dr. Hammond’s will probably up my medication because she wants it normal. So if it means going on more meds to get me where I need to be while I work on the exercise/nutrition routine I will have to do it. Sustained normal levels are what I am striving for. This is a goal that is not unattainable but will take a lot of work to get there.

Target Glucose #’s:

Normal
1. Fasting: Less than 100 mg/dl
2. Two hours after eating: Less than 140 mg/dl

Pre-diabetes
1. Fasting: Equal to or greater than 100 and less than 126 mg/dl
2. Two hours after eating: Equal to or greater than 140 and less than 200 mg/dl

1 comment:

Jenny said...

{support} and all my LOVE.